Not an entirely random name for a blog, but close. I am not a goat herder - in the usual meaning of that word; nor does the Urban Dictionary definition apply to me either (for a decade at least): an extremely drunk male who having lost all self-respect and standards, loses his powers of discrimination when pulling females. It is said that Gateshead derives its name from a settlement near an early Tyne crossing where goats once roamed. The goats are long gone, but me - I like to roam these parts - or rather run - exploring new places, rediscovering old ones in and around Gateshead and Newcastle when I'm out jogging. This blog is a collection of my photos, thoughts, observations, rants, loves and hates about Newcastle and Gateshead.

Friday 30 May 2014

Newcatle City Wall - Gallowgate / Newgate Street

There used to be a music shop on Gallowgate, on the ground floor of International House, where I used to go to to by guitar strings and sheet music in the 1980s.  Upstairs in the shop, I was intrigued to find an old stone wall with a hand written card attached to it describing that this was part of the old city walls.  I loved that - the unexpected discovery of something historic and ancient in such a mundane setting - a bit like seeing parts of the Roman wall next to a housing estate in Denton Burn on the West Road A69 out of the city.

The music shop was replaced by an electrical shop "Electromode" in the 1990s and I was pleased to discover that the wall and the same placard were still there.  Not sure what is there now (Global Cafe on the ground floor) but I wonder whether they still have the brickwork exposed?

As you can see in the photos, the rear wall of the Gallowgate buildings are built partially on the 13th Town Wall.




No comments:

Post a Comment